I've never written a blog before - so this will be a new adventure - I'm not sure quite yet what I will write, but mostly about art is what I am thinking!
I have a number of posts half started and written. I'm thinking that I need to work on actually FINISHING those posts and post them, though they might be out of order on thoughts - it's ok though. Everything is a process and a learning journey. I posted on my Facebook, just this morning that I had 4 UFO's needing to be worked on - looking for thoughts on what I should tackle first. This is big as not only did I pull things out, I am making an attempt to finish a project and actually make some artwork! The photos I posted are below! (I'm still trying to figure out how to do the whole online blogging thing - posting pictures and all!) Anyway, a number of comments and likes came through. I had a sense that I knew which one *I* wanted to work on first - which is what I was planning on doing, but I wanted to see what others thoughts were on the whole thing. After that, I went digging out my palettes and glazes. I have a strange way of working w...
I have an idea for a piece, well, it's slowly turning into a series of pieces. (that's all I can say about it right now!) I need a bit of help with building a support for the piece - so I sent my dad a website, and commissioned him to help out with that part. What I failed to do, is double check the measurements that I gave him. Now, my dad, being my dad, knows me well enough to know that I'm not the best at measuring when it's not a 1/4" or 1/2" - a measurement like that! So, as is his way, he didn't believe me, and told me that he would come get the parts that I had to give to him for making the frame and measure them himself! This is a good thing overall, as I pulled out the parts, and lo and behold, (don't laugh!) I gave him the wrong measurements! Poor guy, thankfully he knows me well enough to expect this! That said, all my planning drawings were then incorrect because I based my piece on the measurements that I gave him of said parts. Need...
I'm doing some digging into Maiolica research. I've read Piccolpasso's three treatises on Maiolica a couple of times, and I'm going to go back and dig into it again as both of the last times I've read it, I've come away with different and more information. Each time I've found things that have lead me towards different research and rabbit holes to fall into as well! One of the things that Piccolpasso talks about in his treatise is that the ceramics were created on a potter's wheel that would have a wooden mold attached to it in order to make the plates or bowls. This makes complete sense to me, as Piccolpasso was living in the area of the Castel Durante potteries. These potteries were making mass quantities of pottery for different households, castles and even for the Pope. That said, the artists needed ways to cut time down on making the pieces, and using a mold in the creation of bowls and plates and other dinnerware, makes it considerably easier ...
Comments
Post a Comment